“Reap What You SEW” is a program that combines STEM learning with creativity and real world application. The program teaches students about applied math through the art of sewing. Reap What You Sew focuses on a variety of math skills, problem solving, and analytical thinking. Essentially, it takes applied math to a whole new level for students by rewarding them with tangible results for their efforts and learning.
Involved in this program are Mrs. Holcomb's FACS classes, Mrs. Preston's art classes, and Mrs. Blanco's business classes. Each class will use sewing projects as a way to study applied math. Specifically, each class will be involved as follows:
- Child Development students will create and donate hats and mittens to local toddlers.
- Education Profession students will create puppets to use with elementary school classes.
- Advanced Child Development students will create and donate drawstring bags for local elementary students.
- Fiber Arts students will create and sell hand painted and dyed tote bags.
- Marketing students will work with the art classes to sell finished products.
Interesting, huh? If you are interested, but not in one of the above mentioned classes you could consider joining the Reap What You SEW club. For more info, see Mrs. Holcomb